Sunday, September 5, 2010

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World













I really just did not like this movie.  It wasn't just Michael Cera either who I just can't seem to buy in any romantic lead.  While he has grown on the rest of the movie going populace like a mold (albeit a rather harmless one) I just can't seem to enjoy his work.  What's his appeal?  His ineptness?  His avian quality?  I do think he would be great for a remake of Harold and Maude.  Except instead of Harold, he would play Maude.  Seriously, for most of any movie he's in I half expect him to pull out a shawl and put it on.  He looks like he can constantly feel a draft.
My real issue with the movie was its self awareness.  I don't want movies to know they are movies.  In comedies, I don't want the characters in on the joke.  With the endless comic and video game references, Scott Pilgrim really narrowed its target audience.  I suppose I just fall outside of that target.  For instance, some might delight over a climax in which bony bird boy Michael Cera uses fake karate moves to fight the short swarthy charm of Jason Schwartzman (whom I actually do like, just not here) but to me it just seems ridiculous and unwatchable.  Probably because I get the feeling that in reality I could fight both of them at the same time and come out the victor.  Everyone else that I saw it with, really enjoyed it.  I, however, laughed exactly once.  I'm sure it will be a movie that people watch for a long time to pine for the times we're currently in but I couldn't find anything to enjoy at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment