Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Red Hill

Red Hill


















Red Hill is a decent twist on the revenge movie genre.  If I can call that an entire genre, yeah, I guess you can.  I won't give a lot of the plot away but you don't really understand the revenge seeking character's motivation until the end of the movie.  I think that was kind of a mistake because after an hour of spree murders I was pretty confused and wasn't sure if I wanted to finish the movie.  I also couldn't tell if the movie was set now or in the seventies or if it was just back country Australia.  I guess it doesn't really matter.
This movie had some horror elements to it as well mostly slasher film similarities.  Initially it would seem that the burn scarred aboriginal killing machine had no supernatural powers but he seems completely indestructible.  At one point someone empties a hand gun at him to no avail.  I didn't get that.  Another time he is in a horrific car accident and emerges without a scratch.  It was more frustrating in this case because I was supposed to buy everything else in the movie at face value.
Ryan Kwanten, who plays Jason Stackhouse on True Blood, is the young cop who has just moved to town and took no part in the initial incident that has the killer so up in arms.  He is spared a number of times and ultimately gets to the bottom of the story.  I thought he was pretty good.  I thought I might not be able to separate him from his more famous character but it wasn't an issue.  I guess the accent helped.  I have to give this a so so rating with my hand dipping to either side.  Which is better than me giving the movie a faux jerk off motion with my hand.  But not as good as a legit thumbs up.  It just isn't as good as the last Australian revenge movie I watched, The Horseman.  What is it with Aussie's and crime movies these days?  I suppose it's better than those ridiculous comedies I was suckered into watching in the early 2000's.

No comments:

Post a Comment