Friday, October 29, 2010

The Social Network

The Social Network













I saw the Social Network the other day and I really, really wanted to get some popcorn.  But I didn't, I fought the urge.  I did get a huge soda in some kind of weird plastic cup that I can bring back and get refill for "only" three dollars.  I figured it would pay for itself by next week.  Anyway, I haven't been to a movie for a long time that featured so many other single audience members.  There was probably 15 other people in the movie and only two groups of two.  The rest of us were flying solo.  I'm not sure why I noted this except that the Social Network seemed to be to be mostly about the crippling isolation and loneliness felt by its protagonist Mark Zuckerberg, the founder of Facebook.
It's hard not to watch this movie and not be completely bowled over by what an unrepentant petty asshole he is.  He's brilliant, yes, I guess, I mean he was writing codes and shit on a computer. I can't really even gauge that kind of intelligence but god, what a dick hole.  Jesse Eisenberg is extremely competent in the role of Zuckerberg,  So good, you kind of wonder what kind of asshole he might be in real life.  The rest of the cast is good too, it includes someone named Armie Hammer, I don't know who he played but that name is hilarious.  The low acting point was Justin Timberlake.  Normally, I think JT is really good in movies, preternaturally underrated, but here he brings little to no energy to the screen.
This movie kind of reminded me of the Insider since it's a pretty riveting tale about something I really couldn't care less about.  David Fincher does a really good job with the pacing, it never lagged, and the non linear story arc worked really well.  I also liked the score which was by Trent Reznor whom I usually think is a nincompoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment