Monday, February 28, 2011

Hall Pass

Hall Pass



















The Oscars were so boring last night that I decided to go to a movie.  Why did I go see this one?  It was at the right time and I think Jason Sudeikis is funny and I have a soft spot for Owen Wilson.  I didn't know anything about it when I went in.  For instance, I didn't know it was a Farrelly Brothers movie.  Which would've been the first sign that I would not like this movie.
There's only one Farrelly Brothers movie that I like and it's There's Something About Mary.  Every other film they have ever made is pure and utter garbage.  I could go on and on about how terrible I think their movies are.  I mean I could pick apart every offensive scene and performance.  How they are imbecilic at worst and sophomoric at best.  To be clear, I don't find them morally offensive, I find them comedically offensive.
And Hall Pass is no exception.  There is a lot of talent in this movie, the aforementioned Wilson and Sudeikis, as well as Stephen Merchant, JB Smoove, Jenna Fischer and Christina Applegate.  For some reason, Joy Behar is in it.  And she's terrible.  So are Fischer and Applegate.  I really like Jenna Fischer as Pam but I've yet to see her tackle anything else she's been even slightly capable of handling.   Applegate can be good but here she just isn't.  Nobody is, they all sort of flounder through it.  Wilson and Sudeikis look like they're in some sort of Christian comedy with their bad clothes and childish reactions to everyone and everything around them.
Nobody would ever accuse the Farrelly Brothers of being subtle but even a hint of it would have been nice.  I mean, at one point we're treated to possible the ugliest actor ever, this guy, taking a shit in a sand trap at a golf course.  Seriously, he's squatting with his pants down in a sand trap and there's a pile of turds in the trap.  Upon witnessing the travesty, Owen Wilson exclaims, "Aw, c'mon, man!" which is exactly what I wanted to say to the Farrelly Brothers about fifteen times during the movie.
I wish I could tell you more about the movie but I can't because I walked out.  I could only take an hour of it.  I went home and watched Uncommon Valor on Netflix.  Which, if you haven't seen it, is about Gene Hackman's mustache going to Viet Nam to rescue his POW son.

No comments:

Post a Comment