Tuesday, August 17, 2010

MicMacs

This doesn't have anything to do with Mic Macs except that these people are the original Micmacs, a group of kick ass  outfit sporting First People from Nova Scotia.


Lauren and I caught MicMacs at the Loft the other night, chiefly because it was free.  I have always been a big fan of Jean-Pierre Jeunet, ever since my dad foisted Delicatessen on me at a young age.  My favorite film of his though is A Very Long Engagement.  It might have something to do with the fine source material.  Sebastien Japrisot is a seriously underrated French author who wrote a couple of other great novels besides A Very Long Engagement.  Engagement is also Lauren's favorite of his movies and though, we expected it to fall far short of that film, we didn't expect it to land with such a thud.
It was seriously terrible.  It has much of the visual splendor you've come to expect from Jeunet but little of ingenuity.  The story, what little there is, is childish and incomplete.  Describing the plot to someone makes you feel like you're in first grade telling some sort of lie to your teacher.  Another sad part of the film is the overall lack of a single character you feel even an inkling of a feeling for, I would have been happy to have been ambivalent about someone in the movie but none of them even rated that.
When I was a kid, I had a friend that would walk up to groups of people who were pleasantly talking amongst themselves and announce far to loudly, "That's preposterous!" and then walk off.  I wished I could have walked into this movie no less than a dozen times and done just that.
After the movie on the way to the car, Lauren said, "I wish we had just walked out."
I wished we had to, but was unable to suggest it on the slight chance Lauren had found something to enjoy about the movie.  Next time we see a shitty movie, I'm going to nudge her and make some sort of motion toward the door until she says, "What are you doing?" and then I'll probably just suffer through to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment